• *M. A. Auta Department of Technology and Vocational Education,Nnamdi Azikiwe University
  • Obi BibianIrukaku Mary Noleen Department of Technology and Vocational Education,Nnamdi Azikiwe University


Vocational, Training, Needs, Unemployment, Graduates,


The purpose of the study was to identify the vocational training needs of unemployed graduates in Taraba state. Two research questions guided the study. The study adopted descriptive survey research design. The area of the study was Taraba state in North-eastern Nigeria, and the population of the study comprises of all unemployed graduates with a minimum qualification of Higher National Diploma (HND) in the state. Stratified random sampling was used to arrive at a sample size to 150. The instrument used for data collection was a structured questionnaire. The instrument was validated by three experts in vocational education who are lecturers in institutions of higher learning. 150 copies of the instrument were administered of which 148 copies were properly filled and returned. Frequency count, Simple percentage and Ranking were used to analyze the research questions. Findings from the study among others indicated that most of the unemployed graduates (72%) are male while the rest (28%) are female. None of them had a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D). Also, 3%, 53% and 44% had Master of Science (M.Sc.) Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) and Higher National Diploma (HND) respectively. Electrical Installation and Maintenance, tailoring and hair dressing are the first three most preferred vocational training needed by unemployed graduates in Taraba State. It is therefore recommended among others that, Government should take girl-child education with all the seriousness it deserves through the promotion of inclusive education. Universities should ensure that the entrepreneurship components of their programmes are overhauled to respond to the needs of the society and the students.


Adawo, M. (20130. Graduate unemployment in Nigeria: Entrepreneurship and venture capital nexus. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development. 4(9), 75-81.

Federal Republic of Nigeria (2013). National policy on education. Abuja: NERDC Press.

Longe, O. (2017). Graduate unemployment in Nigeria: Causes, consequence and remedial approaches. American International Journal of Contemporary Research. 7(4), 63-73.

Nnamdi, A. C. (2018). Indecent dressing in our societies. Accessed at www.sunnewsonline.com retrieved on 7th December, 2018.

Okafor, O. (2017). Higher degree holders are still “hot-cakes†in the labour market. Personal conversation.

Savion, R. (2018). Vocational training programs/course list (trade course)-key benefits. Accessed at www.vocationaltraininghq.com/vocational-training-programs-courses-list retrieved on 7th December, 2018

Surajo, A. Z. & Zehadul-Karim, A. H. Z. (2016). Youth unemployment and poverty in Nigeria: A threat to sustainable growth and development. International Journal of Scientific Research and management. 4(11), 4919-4928.

United Nations Development Programme, UNDP. (2015). Human Capital development Reports. New York: UN Press.